Saturday, December 6, 2008

Some Thoughts of Mine

I attended art lessons and now I am teaching kids art somewhere near my house. I found out that a lot of those students being sent over to learn art, some have no interest in art at all, some are of parents' decision. It is not at all wrong, in fact kids need to have some proper activities and art education is one of the many channels.

Art education is a rare term in Malaysia. Sadly, our government does not realize the importance of art and design and its application. And the word 'art' still alienates many of the locals today.

Though I think there are quite some good attempts done by artists lately in engaging the arts to the people, like Lim Kok Yong's LAMU in KTM, CAIS project in Stella Maris and 1948 Artspace's Entry Points etc. I respect their passion and I wish to contribute a very little bit too. This Projek Semai is that little bit.

I personally think in order for the public to know and appreciate arts, it has to come from education itself, and such education needs to be kick-started at an early stage. People have to understand the very profound ideas beneath the 'art' rather than judging 'art' superficially, and deem it sophisticated, indigestive, or some might say 'even my kids can do a Pollock'.

While those collection of splotches remained as one of the most expensive paintings, I wish I could start educating the kids a little about art and its history, and some very abstract ideas...not to get them doing a business with splotches in future, but to let them understand its philosophy and realize the need of art and design in life. And definitely learning art can greatly assist you in problem solving and for some other pragmatic reasons too, so why not?

This deadening subject is actually full of zest, you have to know the form, content and context to unearth it, and it is a strike realizing it. Art fosters 'creativity', and creativity itself is an endless chasm, it provides you alternatives for whatever you face, it really depends on the way you apply it to something relevant to your life.

I hope Projek Semai manages to do that bit in educating the younger one about art, not just as a commodity, but also an event close to life.

No comments: